the great unknown swami - on a boat to Okha

the great unknown swami. He will continue to stay unknown, I hope. Totally unlike any other godman, he is from somewhere out there, you know. I cannot ever remember if I have heard his name or know where is he from. And, he keeps traveling, all the time. I get to know from others that he had just passed by a certain place, and I hope to meet up with him ahead, along the road, somewhere, but he has moved on to some other place. There are many who are devoted to him, and speak about him with great affection and reverence. At each place, with someone, he leaves behind his memories, and a story. He has an impact on people, families and places. I have been collecting these stories, wherever I hear about him, and I hope you will love them, as much as I do.

Very soon, the rain had stopped pouring down, and the people waiting it out at the Kerala brothers tiffin shop outside the parking area at Okha started wandering to the jetty. Hasmukhbhai and his cousins spoke to the Kerala brothers and they decided to wait at the tiffin shop for the unknown swami to return from his visit to Okha-bet and the pilgrimage to the temples on the island. Virambhai followed the unknown swami towards the jetty, and as he feared, he found that he could not speak. He was at a loss for words. The unknown swami turned towards Virambhai and said, "Hare Krishna, my brother. Are you also on a pilgrimage to the island? I think you are not, for you are carrying some pamphlets and samples with you. Are you a frequent traveler in Gujarat, then?"

As Virambhai told me, later, the moment he heard the unknown swami speak to him, he was at peace. All his disturbing thoughts had gone away, and he found that he could reply properly. He said, "Yes. As I said, I am from Gujarat, from an ancient temple town called Khorasa, near Junagadh. But, I travel a lot within Gujarat. Most people do not know that the Venkateshwara temple at Khorasa is very ancient. So I find that if I speak about the temple to people, they become very curious and they start talking to me. Lord Balaji is very kind to me. I have called my business as 'Balaji Traders', and I think it is very lucky for me." The unknown swami had smiled at all the information, and Virambhai had been embarassed thinking if he was talking too much.

They went up to the jetty and stood within a group that had gathered to board the 4th or 5th boat. The first three boats were lined up to take in their passengers.








No comments:

Post a Comment